The Weekend
This weekend was jam packed with fun!
Saturday:
9:30 my friend mBaye picked Papis (10 yr old host brother) and I up and we went to go watch the championship match for the tournoir des vacances. It was a match nul ( tied game). It was really really hot, but i got to sit under the big baobob tree on my friends scooter (no mom and dad, i did not go for a ride on it, i just used it as a seat during the game). The game was at l'ecole des polices (police school). It turns out that they have to have it there because there are huge fights that sometimes break out between the differnt teams. There were armed gards standing on the sidelines. (I told you soccer is taken seriously here!!! haha).
Afternoon-
Jamie and I had to leave our houses... the kids were everwhere we went, and it was just a little too much to handle. We devised a plan to leave for the beach without the kids coming with us. The beach that we went to was out of this world!! White sand, no rocks, really really really warm water, tiki huts, palmtrees, you name it, it was there. It was so nice to spend the afternoon in paradise!
Night-
Apparently things start really really late here in Senegal. My friends Abdule and mBaye decided that we would go to the discotheque. We got there at midnight, and were literally the only people there until after 1am. Around 1:30 people started arriving. It was tons of fun. I busted out some dance team stuff when the rap was on, and got to learn how to dance to mbalax (a very very very popular type of senegalese music). I swear that the senegalese are born with rythem... they are so beautiful to watch dance. I didnt get home until 4:30 or 5am in the morning, and we were among the first to leave!!
Sunday-
Who would have thought that a day at the pool could be so stressful?? Jamies family and my family went to the pool from 1ish until 6pm. There were about 15 of us who went (only about a fourth of the total population at the houses!!... Anyway, out of all 15, Jamie and I were the only ones who could swim. It turned out that the kid pool was closed, so James (Amina) and I spent all afternoon with kids (AND ADULTS!!) screaming and hanging on us insisting that they were going to drown. The lifeguard had to jump in several times to save some kids... it was so stressful!! Teaching one of the little girls how to swim made it worth it though... ok, not really... but it was cool that she learned.
Yep, there is my weekend for ya. It was a good one.
Today I am going back to the Village des Arts. Instead of dance lessons, today I have sous verr lessons (glass painting)... i am looking forward to it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home