Amy's Bombdiggity Blog

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Notes from a Southerner.

So I was thinking...

When I was living in Senegal, I felt like I was far, far, far away from family, friends, home and civilization, so I turned to journaling as a means of keeping people updated with adventures (small in large) and everything in between in my life. Well today it struck me that although I may still be on the same continent, many of you don't really know what my life is like here in North Carolina. No pressure to read this or anything, but for those who are interested in what constitutes a "pig pickin'" or what it means to "shag" (<--yeah, not what you think it is. dirty minds! ;-), what it's like to sip sweet tea while sitting in rocking chairs outside a shop watching the world go by, or anything else that makes up this new southern life of mine... well, here's your chance. I'm going to try to post updates every now and then about my life in grad school as well as some of the things I've been doing in my free time. 

Where to start...

Might as well just fill you in on a typical Saturday (today), and we can go from there...


Woke up this morning in my beautiful home in Carrboro and walked out my front door and smack dab into the farmer's market where I indulged in a dozen pastry samples, and people watched for a bit. I love the location of my house. There is so much going on in this area, but at the same time it is really laid back and cozy. 

After the farmers market, I walked down Franklin (the main street in town), got some bubble tea, and headed home to meet up with several of the girls in my program who live near me. We piled in my car and drove to a trail head in Durham where we hiked to a rock quarry and went swimming for the afternoon. I know I've been spoiled growing up in the Northwest... but honestly, North Carolina has some serious competition on the Seattle area. The trails are beautiful around here and the wildlife is fantastic. I've seen everything from turtles, to frogs, to blue tailed lizards, to copperhead and rat snakes (YIKES!) to amazing butterflies... truly increadible. 

Tonights plan: I wanted to go to a cocktail party with my cousin, but time kinda snuck away from me, so I think I'm going to try to get a little studying inbefore I meet up with my friend Natalie from my cohort for a huge late night Nintendo tournarment... Man I wish I had brushed up on my Mario Kart skills! oh well. 

In other news: I'm coming home for 3 weeks!! I'll be back in B'ham from July 24-August 15 and hope to see as many of you as possible!! I sure miss you guys! 

Hope all of you are doing well!

xoxo, 
Amy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home